John was awarded this honor for his for significant service to the community through representational roles with social welfare organisations, particularly Lifeline, to the business and financial sectors and to the Parliament of New South Wales.
In particular, John was recognised for his following contributions:
- Chairman, Lifeline Australia, since 2012; Director, since 2009; Patron, 2010-2012.
- Patron, Sailability Pittwater.
- Patron, Bilgola Surf Lifesaving Club.
- Chairman, Furlough House Retirement Village.
- Director, Sydney Ports Corporation, 2010-2012.
- Chairman, UrbanGrowth NSW, since 2012.
- Chairman, Abacus Australia Mutuals Pty Ltd, 2006-2009.
- Chief Executive Officer, Manchester Unity Australia Ltd, 2006-2008.
- Chief Executive Officer, Financial Services Council, since 2009.
- Service to the Parliament of New South Wales includes:
- Member for Pittwater, 1996-2005.
- Leader of the Opposition, 2002-2005.
- Shadow Minister for Infrastructure Planning and Major Projects, 2005; Shadow Minister for Ethnic Affairs, 2002-2005; Shadow Treasurer, 2003-2005; and Shadow Minister for Reform of Government, 2002-2003.
The Order of Australia is awarded to a select few Australians to recognise their achievement and meritorious service to the community and their fellow citizens. On behalf of Lifeline Australia, we congratulate John on this great achievement and thank him particularly for his ongoing service and contribution to Lifeline.